The mission of the AFP Diverse Communities Conference Scholarship Fund is to help ensure that AFP programs are inclusive and supportive of diversity-related issues and concerns, to provide financial support for activities that increase understanding and awareness of diversity issues within the Association of Fundraising Professionals AFP, and to provide financial assistance for professional development for AFP members who self-identify as coming from a diverse community and/or who are employed by grassroots organizations that primarily serve diverse populations.
DIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION
$1,500 Scholarships ($595 Conference Fee + $905 for Travel Expenses) will be offered in each of three categories provided the category achieves sufficient funding. The AFP Foundation offers our donors the opportunity to direct their gifts to one of the following categories:
- The General Diversity Scholarship Fund – reserved for applicants who identify themselves as members of the AFP diversity community of fundraising professionals, or AFP members who are employees of a nonprofit organization that serves a diverse community.
- The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender (GLBT) Scholarship Fund – reserved for applicants who identify themselves as members of the AFP GLBT diversity community of fundraising professionals, or AFP members who are employees of a nonprofit organization that serves the GLBT community.
- The African-American Diversity Scholarship Fund – reserved for applicants who identify themselves as members of the AFP African-American diversity community of fundraising professionals, or AFP members who are employees of a nonprofit organization that serves the African-American community.
Applications for the Diversity Scholarship are available September 1, 2013 through October 31, 2013. Deadline for applications is October 31, 2013.
To be awarded the AFP Diverse Communities Conference Scholarship, the recipient must:
- Be an AFP Member in good standing of AFP
- Be a fundraising professional who self identifies as coming from an eligible diverse community as defined by AFP (African-American, Asian, Faith-based, GLBT, Hispanic, Jewish or Rural) or be a fundraising professional or fundraising executive director employed by an eligible AFP diverse community where 50% or more staff members are from that diverse community or a nonprofit organization that serves a 50% or more eligible AFP diverse community client base.
- Be employed by a nonprofit organization with an annual operating budget of $2 million or less.
- Be a first time AFP International Conference attendee.
- If selected, show their commitment to attending the conference by making a payment of $10 as an administrative conference fee and provide additional funds to cover expenses beyond those covered by the scholarship.
- Fully complete the scholarship application.
- Agree to submit a post-conference evaluation.
Should you have questions about the AFP the Diversity Scholarships Program or Campaign, please contact the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy at (800) 666-3836, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Learn more about the AFP Diversity Scholarship Initiative here.)
AFP Diverse Communities Scholarship Application — PDF Format
Diversity Scholarships Gift Form — PDF Format